USAID Diaspora Invest Project, a five-year, USAID-funded project is currently seeking a Business Development Specialist.
- Position: Business Development Specialist
- Organization: USAID Diaspora Invest Project
- Place of work: Mostar
- Application deadline: April 21, 2023
- Required date of entry: May 2023
- Duration of the assignment: 1 year with possibility of extension
USAID Diaspora Invest Project, which commenced in October 2022, works to attract and facilitate diaspora investment and know-how into local communities, provide financial and technical support to incoming diaspora investors, transfer knowledge from diaspora back into the country, and expand access to finance for diaspora-related and local MSMEs. This five-year $15.7 million project is implemented by Financial Markets International, Inc.
The Project is expected to produce the following results:
- Leveraging of $50 million in new diaspora and private investment in BiH,
- Close to 2,000 new jobs created in diaspora-related companies,
- A total of 500 MSMEs, startups and diaspora joint ventures supported,
- At least 30 local communities attracting diaspora knowledge and capital,
- Increased sales and exports from market access enabled through diaspora engagement,
- Creation of a more enabling local and national business environment through high-level public-private dialogue with diaspora and local businesspeople and government(s),
- Expansion of existing and creation of new financial instruments to support economic development.
The Business Development specialist is expected to directly contribute to these results, in cooperation with the USAID Diaspora Invest Project team.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The Business Development Specialist will be responsible for handling the project’s portfolio of activities in the Herzegovina region. This will include support to partner towns and municipalities in diaspora engagement, identification of and support to diaspora investors locating in the region, and liaising with BiH authorities, financial institutions and private sector representatives to help strengthen businesses and stimulate transfer of diaspora knowledge and capital through capacity development, technical assistance and grant awards.
The Business Development Specialist will work closely with the Chief of Party and the technical and business development team to:
- Liaise and partner with local authorities, community leaders, entrepreneurs and community-based organizations on identifying opportunities for diaspora investment and engagement.
- Provide direct support to the implementation of technical assistance and capacity development programs in the Local Government Units (LGUs) in Herzegovina.
- Identify potential beneficiaries for USAID Diaspora Invest Project capacity development, technical assistance and grant programs.
- Design technical assistance interventions, prepare solicitation documents, identify short-term technical assistance providers, and supervise and oversee implementation of assistance interventions.
- Provide direct technical assistance to USAID Diaspora Invest Beneficiaries from the private and public sectors.
- Provide support to grantees in the region to ensure adherence to USAID policies and regulations in fund management, and serve as a focal point for collection or dissemination of financial and other official documents.
- Facilitate linkages and manage relationships with LGUs, private sector beneficiaries, local communities, and diaspora organizations pertaining to the Herzegovina region.
- Support organization of events, conferences and B2B meetings.
- Ensure effective and efficient collection of data to feed into the USAID Diaspora Invest Project Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning system.
- Implement relevant communication and awareness-raising project activities in the region.
- Liaise with financial institutions, including banks and non-bank finance institutions in the region to identify opportunities for cooperation in expanding access to finance for MSMEs.
- Manage STTAs and interns, as may be assigned.
- Other tasks that may be assigned by the supervisor.
- Organization of business networking conferences, specialized trainings and seminars, business-to-business events, meetings with representatives of Government ministries and agencies, roundtable discussions and matchmaking events for diaspora investors.
Supervision and oversight:
The Business Development Specialist may supervise short-term technical assistance providers, interns, subcontractors, vendors, and grantees. The Business Development Specialist will work in close cooperation with and under the supervision of the Deputy Chief of Party and Chief of Party.
Frequent travel throughout BiH may be required.
Qualifications and Competence Requirements:
- Relevant bachelor’s degree in economics, law, development, social sciences or other relevant field; advanced degree preferred.
- At least seven years of experience in economic development, investment promotion and/or facilitation, and coordination and leading of regional activities with progressively increasing responsibilities.
- Deep understanding of BiH development context, particularly the regional socio-economic development challenges in Herzegovina.
- Familiarity with BiH diaspora issues, especially concerning attracting investment and engaging with the diaspora.
- A proven ability to work collaboratively in a diverse environment with private sector clients and BiH authorities at local, regional, and national levels.
- Proven ability in producing high-quality, publication-level reports and other documents.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English and local languages.
- Project management and execution skills with a demonstrated track record of success.
- Experience and/or familiarity with USAID is preferred.
- Ability to function independently and complete tasks with minimal supervision.
To apply, please send the following three documents:
- A resume (CV) not exceeding 5 pages.
- Cover letter describing your interest in the position, your fit with the key requirements, and how your experience and competencies can contribute to achieving Diaspora Invest results.
- Memo not exceeding one page outlining the best approaches of engaging diaspora in local economic development.
These documents should be sent to the USAID Diaspora Invest Project email: firstname.lastname@example.org by April 21, 2023 with a subject line: “BDS Application Mostar”.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. The successful candidate would be contracted in a full-time role for a period of one year, with a possibility of extension for a 4-year total engagement, depending on performance. Salary commensurate with experience.